How to Access your Computer Files From Anywhere With TeamViewer
How to Access your Computer Files From Anywhere With TeamViewer.
Let’s say you’re at work and you suddenly realize you’ve forgotten to email these important files from your home computer to your work laptop. And to make matters worse, there is no tech-savvy cousin there, just your grandmother at home. Now, either you have to teach them how to send the document by email, or you have to go home to receive it.
Related: How to Use USB Drive on Android and iOS
Not a very good situation, right? But there is a free and easy way to remotely access files on your PC. While you won’t be able to configure it remotely, once you get it to work, it will save a lot of time down the road. The only condition is that your computer must be turned on and constantly connected to the Internet, and you can access its hard drive from anywhere in the world.
Earlier, we talked about 10 different ways to access files on your computer over the Internet, where we learned that TeamViewer is the best remote access software out of all the other options available.
Although, if both your computer and Android smartphone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, you can use this method to access the Windows shared folder with Android.
Whether you are using Windows, Linux or any Android / iOS platform, TeamViewer is the best screen sharing solution. However, it also has the ability to transfer files remotely; although it is hidden in the settings.
In addition, when configuring TeamViewer, you do not need any technical knowledge such as port forwarding or server security .
Related: Best TeamViewer Alternative for Screen Sharing
- Simple and instant way to access files remotely.
- Cross-platform support (ie, accessing files on your computer from a computer or smartphone)
- High performance and reliability
- High security (256-bit AES session encryption)
- No bandwidth limits at all
- Completely free for personal use (even no ads) (as opposed to LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, etc.)
- Remote control of other devices
So let’s see how to set up TeamViewer with other popular platforms available.
Follow the instructions in this video or read the next post on how to access files on your computer from anywhere using TeamViewer
Part 1: Installing and setting up TeamViewer on your computer
1. Download the TeamViewer Desktop Software to your computer.
The installation size is only around 10MB and is available for all major platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS.
2. After you have downloaded the TeamViewer installer on all devices, install it on your computer.
Then launch the desktop app on your desktop and create a free account.
Note. You can usually use TeamViewer with a randomly generated username and code (no account creation required), but for the file transfer function you need to create a free account. This way, you also don’t have to enter your TeamViewer ID and password every time you log in from a remote computer.
3. Check all the boxes in the lower left corner of the TeamViewer window to permanently assign this device to your account and provide direct access without the need for additional authentication in the future. You may get a popup asking you to assign this device, just click Assign.
And it’s all. You are now ready to access files on this computer from anywhere in the world.
Now let’s see how to access these files from a smartphone and computer.
Part 2: Accessing Android PC Files with TeamViewer
4. Download TeamViewer from Google Play. The app is completely free (no ads) for personal use.
5. Open the application, log into your account and switch to the “Files” tab and then to “Deleted files” to see the list of computers added in step 4. Here you should see your computer on the network.
Note: As we said earlier, for this to work, your computer must be turned on, connected to the Internet and running the TeamViewer application.
6. Click on the name of your computer and you will see all its drives. You have read-only access to the entire hard drive, which means you can copy any data from your computer, but you cannot delete anything.
For example, let’s copy a file named test.zip. Just click on the checkmark next to it, go to “My Files” (your phone’s local storage) and paste it anywhere you want. The copy speed depends on the download speed of your home internet connection and the download speed of your current Android connection.
We also tried transferring files from Windows to Windows
Part 3: Accessing computer files from another computer using TeamViewer
The steps are similar to what we did in Android. Make sure you are logged into your TeamViewer account on computer 1.
8. Then go to computer 2, download the TeamViewer application and open it. Log in with the same TeamViewer account.
9. Now go back to your 1st computer and to add computer 2 to the list, click Add Remote Computer and enter the TeamViewer ID and password for your 2nd computer. Then under “My Computer” you should see your computer name 2, select it. Then click on “File Transfer”.
10. A new window will open with your computer1 files on the left and computer2 files on the right. Just select the files you want to transfer from computer 1 to computer 2 and then drag and drop them or use the copy and paste button at the top.
Well that’s all. You have now successfully transferred files from one computer to another using TeamViewer Remote File Transfer.
Lots of people spend good money on paid file sharing software (like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC, etc.), but with TeamViewer, you can easily get your work done for free. We tested TeamViewer for both Android and Windows and everything worked great.
The file transfer speed depends on the download / upload speed on the Internet of both connections, respectively.
How to get remote access to files on PC? We share our thoughts in the comments.
Also Read: How to Stream Videos from Mac OS X to Android and iOS Device
The post How to Access your Computer Files From Anywhere With TeamViewer first appeared on 5000+ Great Articles.More